[asterisk-users] [asterisk-dev] Locking, coding guidelines addition

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Fri Jul 4 19:59:55 CDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 6:41 PM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 04:56:41PM -0400, Steve Totaro wrote:

>> > It's not Mr. obvious. It's Captain Obvious.
>> >
>> > http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Captain_Obvious
>> >
>> > (this one has a mask)
>> >
>> > OK. And now we can resume the normal discussions/flames/whatever on the
>> > list.
>
>> No flames, no mask, just discussion.  I am what I am and that is all
>> that I am, I always use my real name so your mask comment is out the
>> window, no agenda or false pretenses.
>
> Really. I was just making a Captain-Obvious-like fact-correction
> comment. I have not intended to hint anything about you. I did omit a
> :-)

Gotcha, I guess your lack of sense of humor, at l on the lists made me
think you were putting me down.  A little humor goes a log way.

>> There has to be a reason why FreeSwitch bows away Asterisk as far as
>> switching.  Tell me how please?  Could it have something to do with
>> locking?
>
> Or missing functionality?

It is immature and and is only at v1.0.  Give it time, and it will
blow Asterisk away, even more than it does now, plus there is no
reason to use

> Again, please re-read S. Davies's reply there. If you want to rewrite
> Asterisk, have fun. But don't complaind about petty little 1.4->1.6 API
> canges :-) because the breakage here will be much more complete.

As I said, I pay people to do the grunt work or even better, I wait
for someone to GPL their mature software.  BKW is doing work for me
righ now..

FreeSwitch will be the clear winner, or at least the heart of large
scale systems with a few Asterisk boxen here and there until it
becomes more mature.

Thanks,
Steve T