[asterisk-users] (no subject)

Peter Lindquist peter.lindquist.th at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 14:15:01 CDT 2008

Alex Balashov wrote:
> Steve Edwards wrote:

>>> I would say the main thing that is needed is a grammar and spelling
>>> checker, followed by some degree of nominal assessment of conceptual
>>> integrity and coherence.  The latter may be impossible to implement, but
>>> the former would be beneficial.
>>>
>> But deciphering posts from our non-English-speaking members is half the
>> challenge/fun :)
>>
>> Seriously though, good for them for trying. I wouldn't.
>>
>> What are you if you speak 3 languages? Trilingual.
>>
>> What are you if you speak 2 languages? Bilingual.
>>
>> What are you if you only speak 1 language? American :)
>>

> I'm trilingual, but English is by far my best language.  If I had to
> write a post on a technical mailing list in one of the other languages,
> I would certainly take the time to ensure that it sounds reasonably
> coherent.
>
> I cannot fault people for poor/limited English.  But there is a
> difference between someone who tried and someone who didn't, and it is
> reflected in the overall level of culture that comes across in the
> substance of their post, the formulation of their thoughts, and so on.
>
> Somebody that *both* speaks/writes English poorly -- *and* uses
> incomprehensible, Philistine gibberish (excuse me, AOLer short-hand) --
> deserves what they earn.  There seems to be a remarkable coincidence of
> these two proclivities as often as not.
>
> -- Alex

Bilingual, Trilingual, xxxx-lingual does not necessarily include English
as one of the languages. It is for some a great effort just trying to
write in English, never mind the effort of knowing colloquialism, etc.
So not being fluent, not being able to be as coherent as a native
English speaker would, does not make me or someone else eligible for an
answer. No wonder so many think that monolingual people with English as
their only language are arrogant....

Yes, diatribes and flames are accepted....

//Peter