[asterisk-users] Best Practices: Empirical measure of call latency

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Wed Jul 2 15:14:59 CDT 2008

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008, Karl Fife wrote:

> I like your idea Michael.  Is the increment of delay of the echo service
> known?  I suppose you'd have to back that out of the measurement.
>
> I was thinking of something similar (using audio editing software to
> measure time between 'clicks') but more kludgy than your idea -- my idea
> was to test the services in the form of LOOPS so I could HEAR the delay
> myself.  Then the idea was to mesure the time between the first click
> and the return click.
>
> I imagine that someone out ther must have created a more automated way
> to do this.
> Maybe the best reasons to have it automated would be to test for
> variance over time.

Several years ago, I replaced an aging Dialogic based adult chat system
with Asterisk.

One day I made the mistake of letting the client listen to the system with
a handset on each ear. The delay was noticeable and the client was a
stickler. (Note to self - NEVER let a client do that :))

I used 2 RadioShack 43-228A telephone recording controls ("left" and
"right") feeding into a "Y" and then into my laptop. Using Audacity, I
would tap the "left" handset and you could measure the delay until the tap
registered on the "right."

Only by demonstrating that the measured delay was below what several
studies showed the threshold for interfering with conversation saved the
project.

That and demonstrating the delay in a cell to cell based call with a
handset on each ear.

Thanks in advance,