[asterisk-users] Asterisk Taking CPU resources

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Jul 2 12:06:02 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 05:34:34PM +0100, Mateusz Pawlowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a strange problem, after some time my asterisk server starts
> using more and more CPU resource and after some time it becomes
> unusable. I need to kill the asterisk process before it renders the
> whole system unusable.
> I have a few SIP phones, IAX trunk to other system and voicemail running
> on that server.
>
> Now, how do I troubleshoot, which part of asterisk is causing the load
> on CPU ?

Do you see anything in the logs?

One thing to do is identifying which thread is confuming the CPU.
In top, use 'H' to see separate thread (or something like ps -eLf).

Also in top: is some of that time "system"? If so, this is not a pure
100% CPU loop, and strace may be able to provide some further hints.

You can then use:

  strace -p <id of that thread>

--
               Tzafrir Cohen