[asterisk-users] Choppy audio

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Wed Jul 2 02:05:24 CDT 2008

OK in my research here is what I found.....

I seem to get the idea from what I read that ztdummy is not needed for 1.2
(and above) versions for anything but meetme. I never used ztdummy in my
old system and it worked just fine. I really see no difference here with
it running or not. Please confirm - is this timing required for just
simple wav/gsm playback - like voicmail, etc. ?

I played around with kernel options....

echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

Which essentially makes it a 1 CPU system at max performance.

NO CHANGE.

Then put it back...

echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online

Tried this....

echo 1 > /sys/module/processor/parameters/max_cstate

Default was 8.

NO CHANGE.

Let me reconfirm what I am hearing. The audio choppiness is subtle but
definitely there. It seems to happen at the exact SAME place everytime I
play it, which is suspicious! Could this be sometihng completely different
then what we are suspecting????? It seems to get out of sync. sometimes it
seems it is playing future audio on top of current by only Ms's or maybe
it is putting a hole there. Hard to tell.

OH I also tried compiling with the O2 optimization rather then the O8 in
the default Asterisk Makefile. Again NO CHANGE.

Any more ideas would be helpful.

Doug

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Benjamin Jacob wrote:

> > modprobe zaptel; modprobe ztdummy
> That will start zaptel and ztdummy after the 'zaptel stop'. Then restart asterisk.

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug at crompton.com        *