[asterisk-users] Bunch of set-up/usage questions (SLA, MWI, SMS proxy's, crypto, Fax, etc)

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Thu Jan 31 16:02:51 CST 2008

Chris Bagnall wrote:
>>> (2) is there a cheat-sheet for configuring Sipura handsets/hardphones
>>> like the SPA-942, and in particular for message-waiting indicator and
>>> shared-line appearances?
>>>
>> MWI is easy... simply add a "mailbox=1234 at vmcontext" setting to sip.conf
>> for the phone
>>

> Make sure also to add "voice mail number" under admin/advanced/Phone menu on the 942. It does not seem to pick it up automatically from asterisk like many phones do.
>
> If you’re configuring a lot of similar handsets, consider using an autoprovisioning script - it'll save you a hell of a lot of time in the long run.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris

I've thought about doing that...

My main two issues are: (1) it's a pain not being able to stuff an XML
file via http into a Sipura (I think you either have to use TFTP or else
HTTPS), and (2) not having a single source of configuration state to put
into the phones.  I could grab state out of multiple places, but besides
being messy, that also leads to things getting into disagreement when
they are edited in one place but not others, etc.

I've also not found a good cheat sheet that says what fields need to be
set to what.

I can do the scripting/programming no problem.

What I don't have time for is the learning curve of figuring out from
scratch what settings work best.  I figure someone else out there has
already done that quite effectively.

-Philip