[asterisk-users] Analog Adapters ?

d4rk f1br d4rkf1br at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 09:09:46 CST 2008

I have a friend with a small business running a small SIP based phone
system.  He was looking into providing some SIP phones for a couple of
remote teleworkers, but as he started to look around and ask me questions he
ran across analog adapters which made him curious.

He proceeded to ask me if there was an analog adapter that provided the
following functionality in which my reply was simply, "I don't know".  I
have NO experience with any analog adapters.  I know that the basic function
is simple, the adapter creates the SIP session if you will to the server.
It then allows you to connect pretty much any analog device of your
choosing.

He however is wanting something that connects using both SIP to the server
and PSTN.  But his request does not stop there.  He wants to be able to
choose on the fly which "SIP or PSTN" connection he utilizes for any given
outbound call the user makes.  Basically, analog adapter connects to both
voip pbx via sip, and PSTN.  Analog phone connects to analog adapter.  User
picks up phone and could ideally press say 8 to make a call over the voip
service or 9 to make a call over the attached PSTN.

Sounds simple enough.  And I know they do make adapters that connect to both
a sip voip service and to the PSTN via a FXS port.  Something like the
Linksys SPA3102.

However I am not certain that these devices allow for the individual to
easily choose which service to use.  I have to assume they do because well
otherwise I have a hard time understanding how useful they would be
otherwise.

I notice a couple of the features listed stand out as possibly what they are
looking for but any clarification from others with more experience and
personal knowledge would be helpful.

Features listed:

 Service Authentication via PIN, Digest, Caller ID (Bellcore Type 1)
Per Call Authentication and Associated Routing

Appreciate any responses.