[asterisk-users] chanspy does not pull the call back to asterisk after a reinvite

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Tue Jan 29 19:36:19 CST 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 5:55 PM, Alex Balashov <abalashov at evaristesys.com> wrote:

> Franklin,
>
> Because ChanSpy() is a "passive" monitor, there is nothing about the
> implementation that would cause Asterisk to shunt the speech back to
> itself.  Asterisk only does this in situations where it is out of the
> media path and needs to insinuate itself back into it for the purpose
> of generating media, such as on-hold music, IVR, etc.
>
> What you're wanting should, in my opinion, basically be submitted as a
> feature request.  Perhaps the developers can add a flag to the ChanSpy()
> invocation repertoire to make this work.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Alex
>
> --
> Alex Balashov
> Evariste Systems
> Web    : http://www.evaristesys.com/
> Tel    : +1-678-954-0670
> Direct : +1-678-954-0671

Alex, he was not asking why, it is obvious he knows why.

He was asking for a solution or idea on how to work around this issue.

Are you using Sangoma cards?  If so, I might have a very good answer
for you, as well as another very possible different solution.  Both
would be outside of Asterisk so some kind of magic would have to
happen to associate the call being spied on to the channel but that
should not be that difficult if you even need it.

Another solution is to track down the code referenced here
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=9888 and modify chanspy to do a
reinvite back to asterisk before starting the spy.

Anyways, I am sure it can be done.  The question is how much time is
it worth to make it happen.

Maybe we should meet for lunch this week.  I can meet you in cow
country or Philly if you want, your choice.  I have to go to both this
week anyways and would like to catch up with things since Astricon.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro