[asterisk-users] Quad core is not a good idea! (was: Asterisk on Dell PowerEdge 2950)

Massimo Nuvoli massimo at archivio.it
Tue Jan 29 01:37:56 CST 2008

broadband Voice ha scritto:
> Does anyone have any compatibilty issues with Dell *PowerEdge^TM   2950 III
> 2-Socket, Quad-Core 2U*? I plan on using this with the Digium T1 cards.
> Thanks.

Consider 2 socket dual core CPU with "more" mhz, Asterisk is more IO
than computation. The quad core CPU is lower in MHZ and all the CPUs
share the same IO.

The architecture design of the XEON board is wrong for really IO
intensive apps, consider stepping up to a AMD arch.

Also the 2950 is a 2U server that use IRQ sharing (WHY?), wrong with
boards like the T1 Digium..

Bye.