[asterisk-users] Jabber and Asterisk?

Philippe Sultan philippe.sultan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 06:50:46 CST 2008

Indeed, through the dialplan configuration, Asterisk allows you to
place calls from whatever channel type (SIP, H323, ISDN, ..) to
GoogleTalk clients.

The revert call configuration is trickier though, as the GoogleTalk
client user interface does not allow you to dial numbers over DTMF for
example. A possible workaround is to use the powerful 'Originate'
command available in Asterisk :
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+Manager+API+Action+Originate

Also, BJ Weschke is currently working on linking XMPP (Jabber) with
AMI : http://www.asterisk.org/node/48440

Finally, the chan_jingle channel is available starting from Asterisk
1.6). Jingle is the set of XSF (XMPP Standards Foudation)
specifications that will provide Voice + Video over IP to XMPP. Jingle
is its final stage at XSF, see : http://blog.xmpp.org/?p=32.

There are not so many Jingle clients available around, so test reports
against Asterisk's Jingle interface are very welcome!

Philippe

On Jan 27, 2008 10:55 AM, Michiel van Baak <michiel at vanbaak.info> wrote:
> On 04:41, Sun 27 Jan 08, Vincent wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I'm curious about what can be done when using Jabber with Asterisk.
> > What are good examples of this combination?
>
> What I do is make asterisk send a message to one of my
> jabber accounts when a call comes in. Also, because asterisk
> is in my buddy list I can see if it's online or not :)
>
> This is just a simple usecase for it. with chan_gtalk it
> should be possible to do voicecalls using google talk, but I
> never tried that.
> --
>
> Michiel van Baak
> michiel at vanbaak.eu
> http://michiel.vanbaak.eu
> GnuPG key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x71C946BD
>
> "Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?"

Philippe Sultan