[asterisk-users] Extension Mobility with Asterisk and Cisco 79x1 phones

Alberto Pastore alberto at msoft-italia.com
Sat Jan 26 02:49:45 CST 2008

Hi.

I'm trying to develop a module that emulates
the Cisco Extension Mobility feature from CallManager
(the ability to log in to a phone and temporarily
acquire the extension, soft key programming, and all
other settings for that user profile)
with Asterisk 1.4 and Cisco 79xx phones
(some with SIP and some with SCCP, as the 7914
extension module does not support SIP).

I've almost completed all the pieces of the puzzle
(using a mix of xml pages and python scripts)
but I'm stuck at one point:

how to tell a java based
cisco phone (e.g. 7911, 7961,
7970) to reload immediately from tftp its profile
without rebooting?

I know that the check-sync event in a sip notify message
would do that, but this method has some disadvantages:
- it is triggered after about 20 seconds the sip notify
   message has been received
- the reboot is complete and it takes a lot of time

I know for instance that on AAstra 5xi phones it is
possible to push this settings on the fly without
rebooting the phones.

Can the same be done with Cisco Unified IP Phones?
Is there a URL inside the phone to which I can
make a GET or POST request from asterisk?

Thanks,
Alberto.

--
Alberto Pastore