[asterisk-users] Replacement for Allison

Steve Prior sprior at geekster.com
Thu Jan 24 12:51:20 CST 2008

Matthew Rubenstein wrote:
> 	Is anyone else interested in creating new voices for Festival (the
> voice synth bundled with Asterisk) that might not be as good as
> Allison's recordings, but are better than the current Festival voices?

If you try to do live voice synth for prompts you'll probably run into
something I encountered - the background and speechbackground (I also
use Lumenvox in addition to Cepstrel) only take a file.  That means
unless I'm missing something you can't have a TTS prompt that can be
interrupted like a recorded file.  The workaround of TTS to a file and
then play the file sounds to me like it would introduce delays and
besides it's ugly.

That's why I posted a suggestion to the recently created
asteriskideas.org that background and speechbackground be enhanced to
take an app in addition to a simple file.  If you agree, then please
vote for it.

Steve