[asterisk-users] Your "favorite" Asterisk application.

Atis Lezdins atis at iq-labs.net
Thu Jan 24 08:59:50 CST 2008

On 1/24/08, Ken D'Ambrosio <ken at jots.org> wrote:
> Hi, all.  I've done some Asterisk recelling, but recently got roped into a
> Sr. SysAdmin position.  Our PBX is c. 1823, and -- well, as pretty much
> all circuit-based systems do, it sucks.  It sucks to administer, moves
> suck... you know the drill.  So, I'd love change to an Asterisk system.
> My boss, who loves to spend money for no particular reason, wants to go
> proprietary, though.  So I'm going to have to try to sell him.  I figured
> one place to start would be some of the really cool applications that
> Asterisk has that -- generally, at least -- don't require licensing.  Some
> of my favorites are follow-me, meetme, voicemail-to-e-mail and
> fax-to-e-mail.  What are some of your favorite features/applications, be
> ith native or third-party?

You should state what the phone system will be used for. If it's
primary mean of making business - you can do some really amazing stuff
with integrating Asterisk with your own services. Let's say - identify
your own customers, keep track of which customer called you and when,
keep call recordings in customer's profile, have popups that will open
customer's profile upon phone ring. Then you cold take a quick read of
profile and answer the phone "Hello John, you want to order another
Chili Pizza?"

It would need some programming, but this is the best thing about
Asterisk - there's no limitation as it is for black-boxed systems.

Regards,
Atis