[asterisk-users] Your "favorite" Asterisk application.

Mark Johnson asterisk at astroshapes.com
Thu Jan 24 07:37:54 CST 2008

Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
> Hi, all.  I've done some Asterisk recelling, but recently got roped into a
> Sr. SysAdmin position.  Our PBX is c. 1823, and -- well, as pretty much
> all circuit-based systems do, it sucks.  It sucks to administer, moves
> suck... you know the drill.  So, I'd love change to an Asterisk system.
> My boss, who loves to spend money for no particular reason, wants to go
> proprietary, though.  So I'm going to have to try to sell him.  I figured
> one place to start would be some of the really cool applications that
> Asterisk has that -- generally, at least -- don't require licensing.  Some
> of my favorites are follow-me, meetme, voicemail-to-e-mail and
> fax-to-e-mail.  What are some of your favorite features/applications, be
> ith native or third-party?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Ken

We moved from a Cisco Call Manager about 2.5 years ago to Asterisk.  One
of the hurdles I had was that the Call Manager had a receptionist panel
so they could see who was on the phone, transfer calls, etc...

I set up a demo of of the Flash Operator Panel and it alleviated that
sticking point.  It's a little slower than an executable would be, but
it's web based and flash so it's runs on just about every browser and OS.

You can even do some slick things like pop up windows in the browser to
provide information about who is calling.  Works good for a CMS system
where a customer service rep can automatically be shown information
about the customer who is on the line.

http://www.asternic.org/

--
Mark Johnson