[asterisk-users] Asterisk scalability

Carles Pina i Estany carles at pina.cat
Wed Jan 23 11:23:10 CST 2008

Hello,

I wonder how Asterisk scales when we increment the Core's or CPU's of
one computer.

I see that Asterisk is only one process (I guess that it uses threads).
But because Asterisk is only one process, this process is always
executed in the same CPU. So we can have a 8 Cores server, with one Core
running Asterisk, another Core running operating system stuff/other
small daemons and 6 idle cores.

Is this correct? Why not?

If this is correct, increasing CPU number of Asterisk server box would
not increase the performance.

I don't see any other process that could use other Cores (like
transcoding processes, executing dialplan, etc.)

Thank you for your information,

--
Carles Pina i Estany		GPG id: 0x8CBDAE64
	http://pinux.info	Manresa - Barcelona