[asterisk-users] Difference between Asterisk and FreeSwitch

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.com
Tue Jan 22 14:02:18 CST 2008

> > what is the difference between FreeSwitch and Asterisk ,
>
> The main difference in functionality is that FreeSwitch is a
voip-switch
> only.

Technically, FreeSWITCH is a soft-switch, or a "modular media switching
library" that can switch more than just voice.  Also, technically, FS is
a library, and there is a freeswitch application built on that library.
The best analogy I can think of is the application curl, which is a
command line app built on libcurl.

Asterisk is a full-featured PBX that can do many of the things a true
soft-switch can do.  FreeSWITCH is (or will be, depending on your
viewpoint) a full-featured soft-switch that can do many of the things
that a PBX can do.

> It does not have any method to interface to the PSTN, other than
through
> using another host which does have that connectivity, such as an
Asterisk-
> based host.

To be fair, this isn't quite accurate.  FreeSWITCH can interface to PSTN
via PRI or analog FXS/FXO using Digium, Sangoma, PIKA, etc. cards.  (Any
Zaptel-compatible cards should work.  I've done PRI with a Tor2 clone.)
Also, to be fair, the PSTN interface, like the rest of FS, is still
"young" and therefore subject to the usual (and unusual) bugs that
inhabit beta releases.  Technically, the FreeSWITCH project is at RC1.
The PSTN "mod" to FS is called OpenZAP and it is probably better
described as beta.  (Not an official statement, just my personal
observation formed from my personal usage.  I've got an Asterisk box
sitting right next to a FS box and I've been playing with both of them
and I can tell you that right now Asterisk is much more ready for PSTN
usage.)

> > whitch one is more scalable and reliable?
>
> That is going to depend completely on what environment you're
deploying
> it,
> what features you're using, etc.  Keep in mind that Asterisk is going
into
> its
> third major release cycle, while FreeSwitch is still undergoing public
> betas
> and has not yet had a single general release yet.
>
> Also, note that the installbase, developer base, and userbase are all
much
> larger, by an exponential factor, for Asterisk than for FreeSwitch,
and
> Asterisk has a company backing it which is willing to provide
commercial
> support.  FreeSwitch, as best as I can tell, has no such support
> structure.

These are all true.  The bottom line is that FreeSWITCH is a young, but
very cool, project headed by a small core development team.  The lead
developer is a huge Asterisk contributor - Anthony Minessale.  (Check
the karma page and I think you'll find he's way near the top...)  The
community is also small but growing quickly.  There are a lot of people
who use both FS and * because they have different target applications
and different strengths and weaknesses.  If you need a tried-and-true
app that is well-supported and documented then Asterisk is an easy
choice.  If you are comfortable on the cutting edge or if you like the
way FS is built or the way it approaches the handling of certain
challenges then FS is something you should check out.  This is one area
where FOSS is so cool - you can totally check out both projects and give
them a test drive without paying a penny in software costs.

To the OP I recommend that you investigate both projects and see if one
fits your needs better, which I believe is Tilghman's advice as well.

-MC