[asterisk-users] Device state of SIP doesn't change

Johansson Olle E oej at edvina.net
Sun Jan 20 07:12:04 CST 2008

>>> The relevant portion of UPGRADE.txt mentions that a call-limit is
>>> necessary in
>>> order for SIP devices to report proper device state. I see in your
>>> sip.conf file
>>> that you have set call-limit in the general section. This setting,
>>> however, may
>>> only be set per peer (or user). Unfortunately, there's no warning
>>> message output
>>> if an unrecognized option is set in the general section.
>>
>> Mark, thanks for pointing this out.
>>
>> However, i was stuck without any success, until i tried adding my
>> phone in static config - then it magically worked. So, i could use
>> rtcachefriends=yes but that's something i would really like to avoid.
>> Is this considered a bug? There's nothing in docs saying that state
>> information is incompatible with Realtime.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Atis
>
> After further discussion regarding this in #asterisk this morning,
> it would
> appear that communicating proper device state with realtime peers/
> users does not
> work properly. I would tentatively consider this a bug since I would
> expect that
> anything that works statically should also work in realtime as well.
> However,
> since I have not done a ton of work with chan_sip myself, there
> could be some
> subtle (or not so subtle) reason why this was purposely not
> implemented. Sorry I
> can't be more authoritative on this matter.

No, it is *not* a bug, it's a design. Realtime buddies are not ment to
be static
and get the same set of services, even if they're cached.

We really need to discuss this design, since the asterisk users does
not understand this and propably wants something else than what we are
offering. I've sent a few mails earlier about this to asterisk-dev
without getting
any replies.

I think the realtime dynamic caching code in chan_sip sucks, to be
honest.
We need static objects loaded from the realtime database. Right now it's
a patchwork of patches without no good design.

/O