[asterisk-users] [IAX] Up-to-date list of soft- and hardphones?

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Wed Jan 16 12:08:23 CST 2008

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Vincent wrote:

> Hello
>
> 	There's a lot of information on VoIP at www.voip-info.org ...
> but there's also a lot of outdated information there as well :-/
>
> Since SIP is a pain to use when NAT is involved, especially when both
> the Asterisk server and the remote phones are behind NAT... I'd like
> to try IAX to see how it works and if it solves the issue.
>
> I'd like to start with a softphone (Windows only), and then, if tests
> prove successfully, buy a hardphone. What would be your
> recommendations?

IDEFISK or Zoiper as it's called now.

However, you'll need to do similar things to your asterisk box & router if
it's behind NAT for IAX as you do for SIP. (You will need a static IP
address on the NAT router and port-forward 4569 to the asterisk box, just
as you'd port-forward 5060 and 10000-20000 for SIP)

And a SIP phone behind a NAT router is also solvable if it supports STUN.

I know that SIP behind NAT isn't perfect, but with care, it's very usable
and workable. I have many installations doing just this, as I'm sure many
others on the list have too.

Gordon