[asterisk-users] g729 codec - simultaneous calls

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Mon Jan 14 06:38:17 CST 2008

On Jan 14, 2008 7:04 AM, Naveen Palani <naveenp at quinnox.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I use asterisk 1.4.11 version for making outbound calls. Running it on
> linux(fedora core 7) machine. Recently purchased the g729 codec, got it
> registered with my asterisk box. I have two queries for you to help me.
>
> 1. How do i know when an outbound call is placed that it makes use of the
> g729 codec.

I think show channels will tell you if issued during a call.  Show
translation will show that the codec is loaded at least.

> when i use the command "show g729" i get the following:
>
> 0/0 encoders/decoders of 4 licensed channels are currently in use
>
> 2. When i have g729 codec installed on my asterisk box, i cannot make
> simultaneous calls which i can do if i uninstall it. How can i make
> simultaneous calls with the codec installed?

If you purchased one license and are forcing that codec, then it makes sense
that you can only have one call.  If you install the g729xxxx.so that can be
found on the internet, it will allow you to place as many G729 calls as you
wish for testing.  After you are satisfied (or unsatisfied) you can purchase
more licenses (or not) to legally use G729 with as many simultaneous calls
as you buy licenses for.

> Thanks and appreciate your response.
>
> Regards,
> *Naveen.Palani*
> *Quinnox Consultancy Services Ltd* | Pune | INDIA |
> Tel : +91 20 40152300 Ext : 316| Mobile : +91 9960466622 |
> Fax : +91 20 4015 2305 | Email : naveenp at quinnox.com

Thanks,
Steve Totaro