[asterisk-users] MRCP Asterisk Integration

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Mon Jan 14 04:50:16 CST 2008

2008/1/14, Cavalera Claudio Luigi <Claudio.Cavalera at italtel.it>:

> Hello Olivier,
> from what I've understood Asterisk (or its plugin) should act as MRCP
> client.

I agree with you as Asterisk's TTS or ASR plugins (Lumenvox ASR module for
instance, see http://www.lumenvox.com/products/speech_engine/), should
support MRCP but Asterisk itself don't need to.

I copy and paste from RFC 4463 (hope it doesn't brake through email
> exchange):
>
>      |--------------------|
>      ||------------------||                   |----------------------|
>      || Application Layer||                   ||--------------------||
>      ||------------------||                   || TTS  | ASR  | Fax  ||
>      ||  ASR/TTS API     ||                   ||Plugin|Plugin|Plugin||
>      ||------------------||                   ||  on  |  on  |  on  ||
>      ||    MRCP Core     ||                   || MRCP | MRCP | MRCP ||
>      ||  Protocol Stack  ||                   ||--------------------||
>      ||------------------||                   ||   RTSP Stack       ||
>      ||   RTSP Stack     ||                   ||                    ||
>      ||------------------||                   ||--------------------||
>      ||   TCP/IP Stack   ||========IP=========||  TCP/IP Stack      ||
>      ||------------------||                   ||--------------------||
>      |--------------------|                   |----------------------|
>
>         MRCP client                             Real-time Streaming MRCP
>                                                  media server
>

> As far as I see RTSP is needed to support MRCP.
> But also concerning Asterisk and RTSP I've found little information
> online:
> http://sip.fontventa.com/content/view/27/54/
>
> and this old email:
> http://tinyurl.com/3ccl4f
>
> Is there anything more? :-)

I'm not aware of anything else.
In this case, RTSP is used to stream live video content.
I don't think MRCP is relevant for such usage : I see it targeted to scaling
TTS applications to a large number of simultaneous users.

Thanks,
> Claudio

Regards