[asterisk-users] Question about queues and the definition of agents

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Fri Jan 11 11:12:12 CST 2008

Stefan Guenther wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question about the definition of agents.
>
> The agents.conf file looks like this:
>
> [general]
> persistentagents=yes
>
> [agents]
> maxlogintries=5
> ackcall=no
> wrapuptime=500
> musiconhold => default
> group = 1
> agent => 1311,1311,Tom
> agent => 1531,1531,Tim
>
> and here is the queues.conf:
>
> [general]
> persistentmembers = yes
>
> [queue1]
> musiconhold = default
> strategy = rrmemory
> servicelevel = 60
> timeout = 15
> retry = 5
> wrapuptime=15
> maxlen = 0
> announce-frequency = 90
> periodic-announce-frequency=60
> announce-holdtime = yes
> announce-round-seconds = 10
> queue-youarenext = queue-youarenext
> queue-thereare  = queue-thereare
> queue-callswaiting = queue-callswaiting
> queue-holdtime = queue-holdtime
> queue-minutes = queue-minutes
> queue-seconds = queue-seconds
> queue-thankyou = queue-thankyou
> queue-lessthan = queue-less-than
> queue-reporthold = queue-reporthold
> periodic-announce = queue-periodic-announce
> member => SIP/Tom
> ;member => Agent/1311
> member => SIP/Tim
> ;member => Agent/1531
>
> When I set "member => Agent/xxxx" only the phone of a logged in agent rings.
> When I set "member => SIP/XXX" the phones of all members ring, whether
> the agent is logged in or not - is that correct?
> For some reason I would prefer to use "SIP/XXX", but that's impossible
> if all phones would ring.
>
> Are there any mistakes in my configuration or did I misunderstand the wiki?
>
> Asterisk-Version 1.4.13
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Stefan

If you set the member to be "member => SIP/XXX" then that literally means that
the SIP device specified will be rung, and no logic involving agents as defined
in agents.conf will be used (meaning there is no concept of "logging in"). If
you want to be able to "log in" that SIP device, you can set up extensions to
use the AddQueueMember and RemoveQueueMember applications instead of statically
defining members in queues.conf.