[asterisk-users] Using Asterisk as an Fax-Gateway for analog Fax devices

Jonn R Taylor jonnt at taylortelephone.com
Thu Jan 10 09:15:17 CST 2008

I have one for centos 4 that I compiled and should work just fine on 5. It is located here.  http://www.taylortelephone.com/asterisk   If you have problems let me know and I will build one for you.

Jonn

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com [mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Robert Moskowitz
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 7:29 AM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Using Asterisk as an Fax-Gateway for analog Fax devices

I have been trying to do this.  The only thing, really holding me up is
IAXmodem 1.0 rpm for Centos5.  Anyone want to build it for me (I am
terrible at compiling; do it maybe once a year).

Armin Krämer wrote:

> Hi,
>

> this problem could be a bit tricky. We´ve got some good old
> Fax-Machines here and need to create an fax-report of all faxes which
> goes out through this devices including an copy oft he fax. The
> fax-machines are not able to store this fax-report on an storage-place
> ore send it to an email-account.

First off, if you are NOT using T38 between Asterisk and the ATA, there
cannot be any packet loss or reordering between Asterisk and the ATA.
T30 is fragile over RTP.  But I do this very well by having them on the
same LAN.

>  My idea is now, connecting the fax-machine though an analoge-VOIp
> Adapter to our scalix-server an catch all faxes with asterisk send
> though the fax-machine , sending them out over an hylafax-client and
> create an fax-report throug hylafax.

One of the big challenges is a SENDMAIL one.  What is the fax
extension?  Fax#@asterisk.foo.com is easy and I have done this.
User at fax.asterisk.foo.com is REALLY hard and actually violates a couple
of the DNS and SMTP RFCs (a don't do this anymore SHOULD NOT).  Lee
Howard believes some of my naming problems are fixed in Hylafax+ and
that is what I will test with once I get that IAXmodem rpm (and T38modem
rpm too!  Please!).

> Would this be possible with scalix. CAtching the fax and the dialed
> numer an redirecting it with asterisk throug hylafax?

Scalix is what I run here.  The right DNS magic and Scalix will forward
the mail to user at fax#.asterisk.foo.com.  fax#@asterisk.foo.com only
takes a DNS A record (NOT an MX or CNAME RR).

> Would be great if someone could give me an answer to this question and
> how it could be set up.

Give me a hand with the Centos 5 (RHEL5 of FC6) rpms and you got a partner.

BTW, I am running Trixbox 2.4.  I have a really simple custom dialplan
for fax to email.  Works like a charm.  No GUI front end for entering
the fax# extension to email mapping.  I do that with SSH and VI....
Will not support T.38 (need Hylafax and T38modem for the T38 gatewaying).