[asterisk-users] IEEE 802.1x capable sip phones

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Jan 10 06:56:00 CST 2008

Olivier wrote:
> Mitel and Avaya support 802.1X with proprietary protocols.
> For Siemens, I'm not so sure.
Two facts:

Proprietary EAP methods that can actually complete in a reasonable
amount of time.   Many of these have small security holes and thus are
not acceptable as standards.  (I know, I wrote two of them myself!).

They have thin APs with a central switch, so the phones don't actually
roam in the classic 802.11 sense.  Thus the 802.1X exchange may only
occur once (when the phone is turned on); then al you need is enough
memory for the code, and with advances in Flash that is now possible.