[asterisk-users] IEEE 802.1x capable sip phones

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Thu Jan 10 04:14:18 CST 2008

2008/1/10, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com>:

> Jeronimo Romero wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know if sip phones from any of the major IP phone vendors
> > support 802.1x authentication? Any feedback would be greatly
> appreciated.
> >
> This is so unlikely.  I worked on 802.1X and 802.11i.  There is just too
> much overhead there.  No way to meet the ITU 50ms disruption requirement.

I thought that :
1. 802.1X was mainly when you plug your hardphone into your network,
2. SRTP is an orthogonal issue as you could positively be looking to
authenticate your network device and be confident that with authentified
devices, risks are kept to an acceptable level

Am I wrong ?

Plus it is a lot of code.  Wait until 802.11r and/or 11s get done to get