[asterisk-users] Background Noise Elimination

Norman Franke norman at myasd.com
Mon Jan 7 17:51:04 CST 2008

Greetings!

We have a somewhat noisy background in our call center, and I'd like
to reduce this. Obviously, we could plaster the walls with sound
absorbing material, but is there anything we can do in software
either using any algorithms for our open source-based SIP library or
inside Asterisk itself? Related to this, anyone have a good source
for good panels?

We are using Plantronics noise canceling headsets, which don't really
seem to work all that well. Our ancient system handled noise much
better, but I suspect that was partly due to the Dialogic ADPCM
algorithm used that just reduced the intelligibility of lower volume
noises in general. We are using PCMU direct from the agent's mic to
through Asterisk to PRIs, so we don't "suffer" from compression
artifacts. The down side, is that you can make out even very quiet
conversations in the background (like 3 agents to one side.)

How have people handled this? I'm experimenting with a noise gate
that will lower the volume when the agent isn't talking, but that
won't help when the agent is talking.

Norman Franke
ASD, Inc.