[asterisk-users] How to check if a SIP phone is forwarded without ringing it ?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Mon Jan 7 08:41:17 CST 2008

Olivier wrote:

> Is there way for an Asterisk server to check if a sip phone is forwarded
> without bothering phone's user ?

No.

> I was thinking of some Alert-Info option that would let the phone reply
> with a 302 Moved Temporarily or 182 Queued message and not let the phone
> ring or display anything on its screen.

According to the SIP RFC, a SIP endpoint is supposed to respond to an
OPTIONS message the same way that it would respond to an INVITE message
with the identical destination, but I've never seen a phone respond to
an OPTIONS message with anything but '200 OK', even when a redirect
(forward) is in place.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies