[asterisk-users] OT - GEOPRIV and location based SIP services

BJ Weschke bweschke at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 19:38:38 CST 2008

MatsK wrote:
> Olivier wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm wondering whether or not it is achievable to build a web based
>> click2dial application that could automatically detect that a user is
>> connected from office or home.
>> Another option is to directly ask user or let them change default option
>> but having this automatically detected is a bonus.
>>
>> Has anyone tried to build such location based SIP services ?
>>
>> I've read few lines about GEOPRIV which seems to be a building block for
>> location based services but I could make sure if such DHCP extensions
>> are implemented somewhere.
>> Do you think GEOPRIV would help ?
>>
>> Regards
>>

> Hi Oliver,
>
> Linux Journal had an article about timezone handling in asterisk with
> perlscript for checking the GeoIP database with the IP adr. from the
> location db.
>
> Maybe that could give you a clue how to solve your question.
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9190
>
> The challange with GEOPRIV is that its rarely used so I would recomend
> GeoIP, http://www.maxmind.com.

 The problem with location tracking via IP is that, often, the entity who is the current "owner" of the IP at the time is not the same entity that has that IP space registered with ARIN. For example, I plugged in the serial side IP of one of the IP T1s in my office, and what comes up is my provider's corporate headquarters in MA, not my office in NJ.

 There are, however, other ways to do this. You could opt to have the user choose what "location" they're at and then drop a cookie on the user's browser at that location that will allow the browser to "remember" what location it's supposed to be. This isn't without its drawbacks either. There are many users that have cookies disabled because of privacy concerns, but at least with this approach the barrier to get it working again is generally in the hands of the user or their administrator.

--
Bird's The Word Technologies, Inc.
http://www.btwtech.com/