[asterisk-users] 1.4.?? or ZapTel 1.4.X DIGITAL Calls are Broken

Russell Brown russell at lls.lls.com
Thu Jan 3 12:25:26 CST 2008

Quoth robert boardman <robb at boardman.me.uk>

>Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 07:41:40PM +0000, Russell Brown wrote:
>>
>>> Something in the, fairly, recent series of Asterisk updates has broken
>>> DIGITAL call passthrough.
>>>
>>> I've an ISDN PBX behind my Asterisk Box (PRI ISDN comes into port 1 of a
>>> Digium Wildcard and the PBX it connected to port 2 via an ISDN crossover
>>> cable).
>>>
>>> This PBX used to be able to make and receive DIGITAL type ISDN calls
>>> through the Asterisk box...  but something in the latest generation of
>>> updates has broken it and although the calls seem to work the old PBX
>>> just won't route traffic. Voice calls still work fine.
>>>
>>> I've proven it's something in Asterisk by connecting the old PBX
>>> directly to our ISDN PRI line and it still works fine.
>>>

>> What version is "good"? What version is "bad"?

Well I've had a fun few hours testing versions and eventually found out
what brings the problem to light.

I went back through versions of Asterisk et al until I got bored and
reinstated a complete backup from last August onto my Asterisk box....
Voila!  it worked (for inbound calls anyway).

Working my way forward in time... I eventually discounted all the
Asterisk, Zaptel and Libpri versions and boiled it down to me having

	DYNAMIC_FEATURES=automon#autorecord#testfeature1

in the [globals] section of extensions.conf.

If I change this to DYNAMIC_FEATURES=automon then incoming DIGITAL calls
work.  If DYNAMIC_FEATURES has anything more than this then it doesn't.

As a workaround, I've now got:

	exten => _X.,n,Set(DYNAMIC_FEATURES="")
	exten => _X.,n,Dial(Zap/g2/${EXTEN})

in the forward-to-my-old-PBX bit of the dialplan.

This works with 1.4.17, Zaptel 1.4.7.1 and libpri 1.4.3 (the current
stuff).

>I have an outstanding problem with this,I have found that if you set
>overlapdial to no on the internal leg ie connected to the pabx it works,
>but you will have to set the pabx to dial en-block ie send all digits at
>once

WRT Outgoing calls...  this might help (unsetting DYNAMIC_FEATURES for
outbound stuff didn't do anything) but my old PBX is resisting dialing
en-block so calls fail :-(

Why-o-why setting DYNAMIC_FEATURES causes the PPP hookup from my old PBX
to fail I really can't imagine.  Any developers care to comment?  (I'm
happy to insert debug and send info)...  or should I file a bug report?

--
 Regards,
     Russell