[asterisk-users] [1.4 + FreeBSD 6.2] Playing WAV PCM file?

Vincent vincent.delporte at bigfoot.com
Wed Jan 2 22:27:06 CST 2008

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 16:52:57 +0200, Tzafrir Cohen
<tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> wrote:
>What do you have to gain from using a flash player?

By default, unless a plug-in was installed (eg. QuickTime, yuck), if I
click on WAV file in FireFox or IE (Opera is OK), it spawns the
application that registered with Windows to play WAV files. I'd like
to avoid this.

When using a Flash player, it just plays the file without launching an
external app. And users get to see a playlist from which they just to
pick which message they want to hear. Much better:

http://musicplayer.sourceforge.net/

>And you want to encode MP3s on that server? It won't save you *that*
>much space either.

No, precisely: I _don't_ want to compress files in MP3, I want to keep
them in WAV. The goal is not to save space, but to save CPU :-)

FWIW, I sucessfully flashed the CF card with Askozia, which is based
on FreeBSD + Asterisk 1.4 and is derived from the MonoWall project:

http://askozia.com/pbx/

It runs very nicely on that IBM Netvista sporting a Pentium 233MHz and
256MB RAM.