[asterisk-users] Two Asterisks behind NAT and need to link them using IAX trunk

bilal ghayyad bilmar_gh at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 09:26:07 CST 2008

Hi Rob;

Big thanks for your kindly help and answer, so
rtp.conf file is used by sip and h323 only, correct?
In that case if I am going to use the sip trunk then I
need to route the UDP ports used by the rtp.conf file
and that existed in sip.conf, but really i do not know
if any use TCP. Correct?

But I would like to ask how all the calls of the trunk
(sometimes it could be 30 calls for example) will
handled by one port only (in iax protocol)? Does not
mean that in huge calls, sip might work better?

Your kindly help is high appreciated.
Regards
Bilal

-----------------------
The reason that IAX2 is considered good for NAT issues
is that it uses
only one port for both control messages and voice
traffic as opposed to
SIP that uses a predictable port for control messages
and an
unpredictable one for voice/video traffic.

If both servers are behind NAT servers, you /will/
need to ensure that
the appropriate UDP port (by default 4569) are
forwarded to your
Asterisk servers.  Only this port is required - RTP
isn't used by IAX2.

bilal ghayyad wrote:
> Hi List;
>
> I heared that IAX is good for NATing issues, but I
do
> not know if it can help me in that senario:
>
> I have two Asterisks machines in different sites and
> both are behind NAT (both have private IP address),
> need to link these two asterisks with IAX trunk (if
it
> help really in such senario), but I do not know if
it
> will work without doing special routing settings on
> the router (like TCP/UDP port mapping or IP
> forwarding)? How that will be it if possible? Or I
> have to do a kind of port mapping?
>
> If I will need to use port mapping, then I have to
map
> the TCP and UDP ports that are determined in
iax.conf
> and rtp.conf files at site A for asterisk ip address
> at site A? Or I have to map the TCP and UDP ports
that
> are in iax.conf and rtp.conf at site B for asterisk
ip