[asterisk-users] Two Asterisks behind NAT and need to link them using IAX trunk

bilal ghayyad bilmar_gh at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 01:33:04 CST 2008

Hi List;

I heared that IAX is good for NATing issues, but I do
not know if it can help me in that senario:

I have two Asterisks machines in different sites and
both are behind NAT (both have private IP address), I
need to link these two asterisks with IAX trunk (if it
help really in such senario), but I do not know if it
will work without doing special routing settings on
the router (like TCP/UDP port mapping or IP
forwarding)? How that will be it if possible? Or I
have to do a kind of port mapping?

If I will need to use port mapping, then I have to map
the TCP and UDP ports that are determined in iax.conf
and rtp.conf files at site A for asterisk ip address
at site A? Or I have to map the TCP and UDP ports that
are in iax.conf and rtp.conf at site B for asterisk ip
address at site A? In other words, if I am at site B
then I have to go for router B and do mapping for
TCP/UDP ports of the asterisk at site B or the
asterisk at site A?

Any help.
Regards
Bilal