[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.4 Fax

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Tue Jan 1 23:53:18 CST 2008

I think perhaps you are the exception rather than the rule.

Maybe you were able to engineer your network so that fax works without
any of the FoIP protocols - good luck to you if you have.  For /most/
people, it's unlikely they would have sufficient control over their WAN
segment to ensure that it is sufficiently fast and reliable enough for
fax to work reliably.

In any case, why on earth would you attempt to re-invent the wheel?
T.38 is not only considerably more reliable and robust, it's nowhere
/near/ as bandwidth intensive as G711.

The original question was regarding using IAXmodem and Hylafax to
receive faxes over a SIP connection.  Given that T.38 can not work in
this situation, the simple answer is that it /isn't/ the best solution.