[asterisk-users] How does Asterisk scale to 500-1000 phones?

Bryan M. Johns bryan at sheltonjohns.com
Tue Jan 1 19:33:41 CST 2008

Jesse,

We have multiple installations of this scale and a few with far more
concurrent call paths (250+).  In our experience, Asterisk scales
nicely to these levels as long as you are realistic about what you
expect of the server.  For instance, we rarely, if ever, convert
signal to TDM.  We instead use SIP dial tone from a tier-1 carrier.
Also, if you expect any substantial amount of meetme conferences, you
might want to consider running those on separate hardware.  As the
numbers go up, you can peel-apart your switch into functional duties
such as two SIP switching servers, two voicemail servers, one
conferencing server, etc.

Just some ideas.  Best of luck to you!

Bryan M. Johns
Shelton | Johns