[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.4 Fax

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue Jan 1 18:02:23 CST 2008

Jonn R Taylor wrote:
> I have always said that if some one said it can't be done, they did not try hard enough.
>
> FYI... I love this.
> Ben Franklin quote:
>
> "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

As the person behind the tools you are relying on, I can say you haven't
tried hard at all. You are just lucky, and almost certainly just being
very reliant on the majority of your FAXes using ECM mode, and retrying
a lot.

Trying hard for FAX over IP means implementing T.37, or at least T.38.
These are engineered solutions, not pot luck. Your present arrangement
assumes G.711 (not available a lot of the time), no signal manipulation
in the system beyond your controls (getting rarer and rarer), a very
crude network doing nothing to improve voice quality (should be getting
rarer too), limited packet loss (which is truly pot luck over the
internet, which you say you use), and a few other magic qualities.

A number of people claim solid FAXing results across VoIP paths, like
they've achieved some engineering breakthrough. The claims tend to
evaporate under closer inspection.

Steve