[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.4 Fax

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Tue Jan 1 16:12:59 CST 2008

I'd say "consider yourself very lucky".  I know I did some testing here
some time ago with faxing over VoIP.

    * One extension to another over G711a with both extensions on the
      same LAN - worked 95% of the time
    * One extension on my Asterisk server to an Extension on a friend's
      Asterisk server using G711a via IAX - 95% failure rate.  Both of
      us awere on the same ISP and had ping times of ~40ms between us.

However, in a live environment, I convert a PSTN call to a t.38 encoded
call and can send the fax just about anywhere I damn well want (where
the remote end supports t.38) with a 95% success rate.

t.38 is the key to successful faxing over a VoIP network.  Without it,
you're begging for trouble.