[asterisk-users] Polycom IP600 + PC share same switch port with VLAN

James Sneeringer jsneerin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 16:57:06 CST 2008

As far as I can tell, with Polycom phones you cannot do what you're
asking (which is for the PC and the phone to be in the same VLAN while
the PC is connected to the phone). I don't know how they handle it
when the voice frames are untagged, but they definitely won't pass
tagged voice frames to the PC port:

http://knowledgebase.polycom.com/KanisaPlatform/Publishing/616/12526_f.SAL_PUBLIC_1_2.html

Your switch port is configured for untagged frames on a single VLAN
(that's what "access" mode is). Polycom phones need voice and data to
be on separate VLANs in order for you to use the PC port. Since
Polycom phones apparently don't support the Cisco Voice VLAN feature,
you need to configure the port as a trunk port, which will allow you
to send multiple VLANs to the phone. The phone will take frames tagged
for your designated voice VLAN, and will pass the rest on to the PC
port. For example:

interface FastEthernet2/0/1
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk native vlan XXX
 switchport trunk allowed vlan XXX,100
 switchport mode trunk
 spanning-tree portfast trunk

Replace XXX with whatever your PC VLAN is. Setting XXX as the native
VLAN for this port will cause frames in that VLAN to be untagged for
that port, which is what your PC probably expects. If it happens to be
1, then it's the native VLAN by default. The last command may or may
not be available, depending on your version of IOS. If it isn't,
portfast just won't work and you're just stuck with STP negotiation
anytime the port bounces.

-James