[asterisk-users] Listening to Allison voicemail prompt on SIP phone causes [pop] sounds.

shadowym shadowym at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 29 10:07:40 CST 2008

Ok so I'm not going crazy then.

I filed a bug report.
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=12093

-----Original Message-----
From: Trevor Peirce [mailto:tpeirce at digitalcon.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 6:46 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Listening to Allison voicemail prompt on SIP
phone causes [pop] sounds.

shadowym wrote:
> A bit hard to describe.  Using a SIP hardphone I log into my voicemail at
which point Allison says "you have x messages.....".  There are various
other prompts that exhibit the same problem but that is one easy to explain
and reproduce one.  The problem is there is a slight 'pop' sound usually
during the first syllable of each word.  So the prompt sounds like "y[pop]ou
h[pop]ave t[pop]wo me[pop]ssages".  If I dial *43 to do an echo test and
Allison says "you are about to enter an echo test....." it's not there so
it's only in certain modes this happens.

Yes, this is something that has bothered me since I first started
working with asterisk 1.2 way back when. It sounds to me like it's an
artifact of appending multiple sound files together as it occurs at the
beginning of each prompt that is played, or each digit when reading back
caller id.

I too see this with gsm, ulaw, and the new slin files. I know it happens
with 1.2 and 1.4 on Sipura/Linksys ATAs. I just listened to the prompts
on my Aastra 9112i and the pop is there too but not nearly as apparent
as on the ATAs.

I've got no idea where to even start trying to solve something like
this, but I just wanted to respond that you're not the only one being
bothered by it.

Best regards,
Trevor Peirce
--