[asterisk-users] Cisco 7965g and asterisk

Patrick asterisk-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 29 07:12:18 CST 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 11:09 +0000, Nuno Fernandes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've just bought a new cisco 7965g and web are trying to connect it to
> asterisk. I've bought smartnet and downloaded
[snip]
> How can i install the sip firmware?

You need to setup a tftp server, put the 8 sip firmware files and the
configuration files in the tftp server directory so the Cisco phone can
pick them up when it boots.

The Cisco phone can be very picky about the configuration files. With
the slightest error the phone will refuse to boot so make sure you have
got it all right.

I don't have configuration files for the 7965 so ask the company where
you bought the phone or google around. If you can't find them for the
7965 please note that the 7940/7960 configuration files will not work
for a 7965. Maybe the 7941/7961 configuration files will. I'm not sure.

If you are mainly using Asterisk (SIP) then I recommend you buy Polycom,
Aastra or Snom phones next time. The Polycom phones have the best sound
quality and imho are the best SIP phones you can buy.

Regards,
Patrick