[asterisk-users] Entering code to restart the machine

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed Feb 27 09:26:29 CST 2008

bilal ghayyad wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> How can I configure Asterisk in that way:
>
> If I entered code (from my mobile when I call to the
> Asterisk or from any Internal Phone), then the machine
> do restart. I need this when I am far from the office
> and I need to restart the machine and I do not have
> Internet connection.

The safest way is to call an AGI script (or System command or whatever)
from the dial plan that uses some IPC mechanism to pass a message to an
outside cron job that runs periodically and checks for this flag, and if
so, restarts asterisk from the CLI ('asterisk -r -x 'stop now'; sleep
10; asterisk).

The sleep is desirable because the 'stop now' command is asynchronous
and Asterisk does not necessarily shut down instantaneously when you
issue it.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems