[asterisk-users] Configuring modem pools in Asterisk [WAS: Connecting a Rolm CBX to Asterisk via T1?]

Joshua Kinard jkinard at closeup.org
Tue Feb 26 16:48:42 CST 2008

Okay, T1 card issue sorted out.  New Lesson: Stay Away from TigerJet chips.

Next up, modem pool -- I wanted to know if the below config looked anywhere near half-sane for defining in asterisk what is essentially a small pool of four waiting modems that will handle faxes if another modem is busy:

exten => _X.,1,Dial(IAX2/iaxmodem0/${EXTEN})
exten => _X.,2,Busy
exten => _X.,3,Hangup

exten => _X.,4,Dial(IAX2/iaxmodem1/${EXTEN})
exten => _X.,5,Busy
exten => _X.,6,Hangup

exten => _X.,7,Dial(IAX2/iaxmodem2/${EXTEN})
exten => _X.,8,Busy
exten => _X.,9,Hangup

exten => _X.,10,Dial(IAX2/iaxmodem3/${EXTEN})
exten => _X.,11,Busy
exten => _X.,12,Hangup

This seemed logical, but redundant.  I've seen the usage of macro's to condense stuff like that, but I wasn't sure how to have it auto-determine which modem to use (i.e., iaxmodem0 through iaxmodem3).  In my mind, I'm thinking of this in the form of a for loop:

for each modem in iaxmodem0..iaxmodem3
	is it busy?
		Yes: Continue
		No:  Answer
	done
done

Is something like that representable in asterisk-speak?

Also pondering ahead for working on outbound faxing, I'm assuming a [fax-out] context would be somewhat similar as the above, just a different set of iaxmodems (4-7)?

Thanks!,

--jkinard