[asterisk-users] Explain Cause of Error: manager.c:Accept returned -1: Too many open files

Matthew J. Roth mroth at imminc.com
Tue Feb 26 13:53:53 CST 2008

Dovid B wrote:
> Thanks. I like to know my errors and what cause them. Anyone available to
> help me pick at their brain to see where its coming from or am I really
> barking up the wrong tree ?

Dovid,

The number of concurrent calls on the server is tightly related to the
number of file handles Asterisk opens, so that's the first place that I
would look.

Take a look at 'ls -l /proc/`cat /var/run/asterisk.pid`/fd/' if you
really want to analyze the file handles Asterisk has open.  Doing this
on a server that has experienced the problem and one that hasn't might
be revealing.

You could also try running 'lsof | egrep "^asterisk "' periodically on
one of the affected servers and capturing the output to timestamped
files.  Comparing the data in the files leading up to a "Too many open
files" error should be revealing.

Regards,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions