[asterisk-users] Fax-to-Email - Legal Issues

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sat Feb 23 07:43:02 CST 2008

Zeeshan Zakaria wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Some months ago there were news about J2 filing lawsuits against
> companies using fax-to-email technology, as they claimed it was their
> patent. They had also won some cases, until someone filed a counter
> lawsuit against them based some other grounds but again related to
> fax-to-email.
>
> Anybody knows what is latest in this regard? Can now fax-to-email be
> used without fear of being sued.
>
> --
> Zeeshan A Zakaria
The key site to look at it www.catchcurve.com. This is the name under
which J2 troll their patents. If you look at the list of companies who
paid up, you'll see most of the big names in telecoms. The patents
actually suck, though. I didn't find a single patent of any substance.
It remains to be seem whether things change in light of the recent
SCOTUS ruling on obviousness.

Steve