[asterisk-users] FXO Cards - T38

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Sat Feb 23 06:11:56 CST 2008

T.38 is a codec in exactly the same way that GSM or G.729 is a codec, so
yes it /can/ be used at the same time as any other codec - just that
only /one/ codec will be used at a time.  What often happens is that the
call will initially be established with a codec such as G.729 or G.711a,
but once fax tones are detected the call will change codecs to T.38.

According to the release notes for 1.6.0-b4...

 - 11873, Added core API changes to handle T.38 origination and termination
   (The version of app_fax in Asterisk-addons now supports this.)

This should be all that is necessary to run a T.38 gateway.