[asterisk-users] Sangoma FXO EC vs Rhino FXO EC

Rod Montgomery rmontgomery at digium.com
Thu Feb 21 12:24:21 CST 2008

Michael,

I'm very interested in helping you resolve any and all trouble you have with Digium products. The experience you describe with our products not typical, so I'd like to address them specifically.

My comments are inline:

----- "Michael J. Liberatore" <mike240se at straightandnarrowinc.org> wrote:

> I have noticed overall sound quality has increased 10 fold with the
> sangoma echo cancellation card but I had never tried hpec with the
> digium card.  I did try mg2 after fxotune and spending lots of time
> working out the levels and they still are unhappy with the call
> quality.

Yes, any decent hardware echo canceler would provide a significant improvement over mg2 on difficult trunks. As noted already in this thread, Digium offers software-based High Performance Echo Canceler (HPEC) and hardware-based echo cancellation options. They're well worth the incremental expense when you need reliable, high-quality echo cancellation.

Evaluating a Digium interface without hardware echo cancellation versus Sangoma with hardware echo cancellation isn't really an even comparison, is it?  I invite you to evaluate similarly equipped interfaces.  I'm confident that you'll change your opinion about Digium's product performance.

> No I I have the TDM-04B, I was going by voipsupply.com, that's why I
> thought I had the latest, they don't have the tdm410.

The TDM400 does not support on-board echo cancellation; the TDM410 does. For low density analog, the TDM410 is an outstanding solution. Voipsupply's website catalog isn't exactly up to date, but there are plenty of other reputable resellers that would be eager to help you with the latest interface technology; just visit <URL:http://www.digium.com/en/wheretobuy/>.

However, it sounds like you're reselling these to end users: have you considered joining Digium's reseller program? You would enjoy many benefits that would smooth your path to success, including special pricing with an authorized Digium distributor. See <URL:http://www.digium.com/en/ecosystem/resellers/> for more information.

> My issue is mainly that I bought all digium cards previously and have
> nothing but nightmares. Multiple cards died for no reason, 2 of them
> digium wouldn't warranty cause they were like 13 months old.

That's troubling... even before the recent announcement of an expanded warranty as part of our Exceptional Satisfaction Program, all Digium interface cards carried a two year warranty. There's no way we would have turned you away at 13 months. Or 15 months, or 18.

I went to investigate this and couldn't find any record of you contacting Digium Technical Support. Did you use a different company name? Perhaps a different representative of your firm contacted us. Are you confusing your e-tailer's limited one-year return policy for Digium's warranty?  Even if your webstore refuses a return, Digium will honor the product warranty.

Truly, the tired old reasons to avoid Digium -- IRQ-related headaches, "motherboard incompatibilities," lack of hardware echo cancellation on analog and single-span T1, etc. -- just don't stand up any more. Digium's Exceptional Satisfaction Program signals a new standard of quality and reliability in the telephony market. And our Technical Support team has a great track record, often mentioned on this list. We're ready to work with you to make your Digium Asterisk deployments a resounding success.

Sincerely,
rm
--
Rod Montgomery <rod.montgomery at digium.com>