[asterisk-users] Sangoma FXO EC vs Rhino FXO EC

Michael J. Liberatore mike240se at straightandnarrowinc.org
Tue Feb 19 18:27:32 CST 2008

Hi all, I am a huge fan of Sangoma cards after having many problems with
digium cards and then switching to sangoma cards and them giving me
excellent support with excellent results.

That being said, they are also alot more money than the Rhino cards and
my friend currently has 1 digium 4 fxo card in their system and they
need to add another phone line, plus they have echo problems and quality
problems from time to time.  So my plan was to get them a 4 port fxo
card with echo cancelling and use that for their 4 lines and use 1 of
the ports on the old digium card for the 5th line.

The sangoma 4 port fxo echo cancelling card is about $700 with shipping,
and for me to get a 6 port card would be close to $900 with shipping.
My friend cant afford the $900 card but it would be nice to be able to
get rid of the digium card completely since it works poorly and i dont
know if there would be conflicts with a digium card and a sangoma/rhino
card together, maybe irq issues...

So they told me about the rhino cards which are much more affordable and
have echo cancelling, $400 for a 4 port fxo card with echo cancelling
and $600 for a 6 port fxo card with echo cancelling.  These are much
more in my friends price range but I have never used rhino cards and
dont know how their quality is, how their echo canceller is, and how
they work with asterisk including if they work with zaptel natively or
need cumbersome drivers, etc.  Also if they are field upgrabable so you
can upgrade the firmware like you can with sangoma cards.

So any help or experience would be great.  Sangoma will always be my
number 1 choice but when the money is tighter, it would be nice to have
a cheaper option IF the quality is the same.  I know they both have 5
year warranties but i have had so many issues with this asterisk install
from faulty digium cards, to echoy digium cards, to the dreaded snom 360
phones, to the even more dreaded gxp2000 phones, its been one night mare
and problem after another, i want to get things working great once and
for all and for a long time!  I am sure you all can understand that :)
So if i have to make my friend spend the extra or make due with 4 ports
+ using the old card for the 5th port, so be it.

Thanks!!

mike

This E-mail, including any attachments, may be intended solely for
the personal and confidential use of the sender and recipient(s) named
above. This message may include advisory, consultative and/or
deliberative material and, as such, would be privileged and confidential
and not a public document. Pursuant to 42 CFR, any information in this
e-mail identifying a former, present, or potential client of Straight & Narrow is confidential. If you have received this e-mail in error, you must not review, transmit, convert to hard copy, copy, use or disseminate this e-mail or any attachments to it and you must delete this message. You are requested to notify the sender by return e-mail.