[asterisk-users] Attatch monitor recording to a voicemail

Ben Willcox ben.willcox at british-gymnastics.org
Tue Feb 19 14:59:32 CST 2008

Jared Smith wrote:

> I've always done this by setting the MONITOR_EXEC channel variable to
> point to an external program that takes care of moving the recording to
> the proper location so that it can be accessed by the user who made the
> recording.  I'll bet if you search for MONITOR_EXEC and
> MONITOR_EXEC_ARGS you'll find exactly what you need.

Thanks Jared,

That gets me halfway there, but what I'm wondering about is the process
of moving of the recording to the correct place - i.e. should my
external program do the following:

1) Check the users voicemail directory for existing message filenames
2) Copy the recording into the voicemail directory named msgxxxx.WAV
(incremented depending on number of existing messages)
3) Create the msgxxxx.txt file in the correct format

or is there another way that will sort this all out automatically? What
would happen if a real voicemail drops into that directory while my
external script is halfway through copying/creating for example...

Cheers,
Ben