[asterisk-users] Connecting a UMTS module via USB to asterisk

Marco Maso demasth at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 10:33:21 CST 2008

Hi, i'm new to the list, this is my first post here.
I have a UMTS module that can be used like a modem and associated with a SIM
card (on a simple board) can make phone and data call towards a real phone.
Basically is a sort of rough phone that i configure and use by AT commands.
It can handle and receive incoming call to the phone number associated to
the sim very easily.
I connect the module via USB and as i said i use AT commands (under Linux i
use Minicom, under Windows you could use Hyperterminal to do such a thing).
Recently i've been using Asterisk too and i was wondering if there was a way
to make these two thing work togheter!
So the scenario would be:

Phone (of any kind) ------> "usb modem that can handle phone calls" ------>
asterisk --------> softphone on a pc

Normally i use a ISDN card instead of the second block of my scenario and
everything goes fine but now i'd like to try this wireless solution in order
to be reached by a phone call i.e. when i'm on a train using my laptop
(where i would have asterisk running).

Do i need a particular driver to do so?
How can i make asterisk "look" at my usb port?

Thanks a lot

Marco Maso