[asterisk-users] Asterisk H.248 Support

Julio Arruda jarruda-asterisk at jarruda.com
Sat Feb 16 19:05:29 CST 2008

Chad Whitten wrote:
> I have been searching for some documentation that would indicate if
> Asterisk supports H.248 and everything I have come across seems to
> indicate I should use MGCP which I would agree is a better choice but
> unfortunately the equipment I am trying to integrate only does H.248.
>
> Could anyone point me to something related to this.

I've not seem anything on Asterisk being used as a Call Agent for H.248
gateways, but I've seem the question pop-up at least a couple of times
in the past.
I understand there are quite few gateways out there that support H.248
in one flavor or another. I remember Nortel (used to work there) has at
least the PVGs/MG7k/15k (high density trunking gateways, quite
interesting in terms of carrier grade features, like
non-service-interrupting sw upgrades and etc) and some other gear that
would run with H.248, also Calix had at least some sw version that would
do H.248. Isn't H.248/Megaco a kind of 'son-of-MGCP' ?
I wonder how much effort would be required to implement MGC/call-agent
capabilities in asterisk..