[asterisk-users] T1 "access layer" used Cisco or new Digium

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Sat Feb 16 13:31:50 CST 2008

On Feb 16, 2008 1:14 PM, Steve Edwards <asterisk.org at sedwards.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008, Tom Browning wrote:
>
> > b) buy Digium T1 cards in 2 port or 4 port flavors and place in 1U or 2U
> > rackmount servers and use as dedicated ISDN T1 to SIP gateways.
>
> I did this for a client a couple of years ago. te410p's in 1u's
> (Supermicro at the time HP DL380's now). I ran IAX instead of SIP. The
> "telco servers" answered the calls and dialed to an "application server"
> that did all the voice processing.
>
> Client is still happy.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Steve Edwards      sedwards at sedwards.com      Voice: +1-760-468-3867 PST
> Newline                                             Fax: +1-760-731-3000

I did the same thing with a T3 terminated into an Adtran MX2800 M13
that broke off into 28 T1s that terminated into HP DL320s with quad
port Sangoma boards (no echo can) and handed the calls off as SIP to
the application server.  By using NFAS on every four T1s, I cut the
bill from $2,800 for 28 D chans to $700 for seven D chans per month
(GXing).

This was a very solid setup and economical as well.  It also allowed
for some degree of failover since all 28 T1s were in a hunt group so
if one box failed (which did not happen except for planned testing)
the calls on that box would be dropped but any new calls coming in
would go to another box.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro