[asterisk-users] is encrypted iax safe and secure?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Feb 15 11:31:34 CST 2008

Tim Panton wrote:

> The NEW frame doesn't _have_ to contain a dialed number, the digits
> can be sent later
> (I forget the frametype), but later means within the encrypted
> session :-)

It's the DIAL command that you are thinking of. I'm considering
implementing this, but it has one major caveat: to really do the job
right, we wouldn't want any caller information (CLID or CNAM) to be in
the NEW message either, it would have to be added as IEs to the DIAL
command. Unfortunately no existing implementations are going to be
prepared to receive that information as part of DIAL, so they would
process this sort of call with an empty CLID and CNAM. We can of course
enhance chan_iax2 to understand this method of doing things, but it
won't be backward compatible with previous versions of Asterisk or any
other IAX2 clients.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies